Ireland’s flirtation with cricketing history came to a disappointing end in Kingston’s Sabina Park on Friday when they lost their second Twenty20 international with the West Indies.
Victory, following a famous six-wicket win on the same ground earlier in thye week, would have given the Irish a first series win over a Test-playing nation.
But the West Indies drew on all their experience to win by 11 runs, hitting 96 for nine off their 20 overs after Ireland had won the toss and put them into bat, and then restricting the Irish to 85 for eight in theirs. West Indies skipper Darren Sammy (in pic) starred with the ball picking up 3 for 22 and the player of the match award.
West Indies beat Ireland by 11 runs in a low-scoring Twenty20 international in Jamaica to draw their two-match series.
Alex Cusack was the pick of the Ireland bowlers, taking 4-11 as none of the home batsman reached 20 in a total of 96-9 at Sabina Park.
However, Ireland also struggled with the bat and Darren Sammy took three wickets to reduce them to 49-6.
Gary Wilson top scored with 35 but he was caught and bowled by Dwayne Bravo as Ireland fell short on 85-8. Read more
Senior batswoman Mithali Raj will lead the 14-member Indian team in the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 starting March 23 in Bangladesh, the BCCI announced today.
Mithali will also captain the side in the three-match T20 series, prior to the World Cup, against hosts Bangladesh from March 9.
Middle-order batswoman Harmanpreet Kaur will be the vice-captain.
India will take on Sri Lanka in their first match of the tournament on March 24 at Sylhet.
Other teams in India’s pool include last edition runners-up England, hosts Bangladesh and West Indies. Read more
England Twenty20 captain Stuart Broad says a “disaster” of a winter forced the changes that resulted in the end of Kevin Pietersen’s international career.
Pietersen was released from his England and Wales Cricket Board contract, and team director Andy Flower quit, after the 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia.
“The decision was taken from guys who were desperate for England to improve in the future, not just in the next four or five months,” Broad said.
“We do have to make improvements.”
Broad, who will skipper England in their forthcoming one-day and T20 internationals in the West Indies, continued: “It was heartbreaking to lose 5-0 and we lost a lot of good men in doing that. Read more
Brad Hogg could become the oldest international Twenty20 player after making Australia’s 15-man squad for the World T20 tournament in Bangladesh.
The 43-year-old spinner helped Perth Scorchers win Australia’s T20 Big Bash title last week.
He could play in T20 warm-up games in South Africa before the World T20, to be held from 16 March to 6 April. Read more
January 31, 2014, Melbourne
Start time 1935 local (0835GMT)
Different format, different players, same result. That was the case in Hobart on Wednesday, when Australia’s Twenty20 specialists continued England’s miserable tour with a 13-run victory that was set up by a powerful batting performance. England now find themselves needing to win the second game in Melbourne to have any hope of flying home with a series win at the end of a long and arduous trip.
England’s batting was reasonable enough to get them up to 200, albeit with the help of some late and futile striking from Ravi Bopara, but it was their bowling that caused the problems, unable as they were to contain Cameron White and Aaron Finch in the early stages of the match. Read more
Australia have appointed Shane Warne as the official mentor to their spinners ahead of this year’s World Twenty20.
The 44-year-old legendary leg-spinner will join Australia’s squad in March during their tour of South Africa .
He will be present for three Twenty20 matches, their final preparation before flying to Bangladesh for the start of the World Twenty20 on March 16.
“I’m excited to be working with Australia’s spinners in South Africa,” said Warne.
“I’m looking forward to helping them with some intense bowling preparation ahead of the World Twenty20, where we’ll specifically work on tactics and mindset.” Read more
Sussex seamer Chris Jordan was called into England’s Twenty20 squad to play Australia on Saturday following the early exit of Steven Finn. Jordan is already in Australia with the one-day international squad where he has shown signs of promise despite England going 2-0 down in the five-match series. (Also read: Australia looking to open England’s ‘scars’, says Haddin)
Middlesex quick Finn was the only member of England’s originally selected Ashes squad who didn’t play an international match on a tour where his side were routed 5-0 by Australia in the Test series.
He returned home early in a bid to iron out problems with his bowling action which England limited overs coach Ashley Giles said had made him “not selectable”. Read more
Sussex have signed Pakistan all-rounder Yasir Arafat as an overseas player for the NatWest T20 Blast tournament.
The 31-year-old has previously had three spells at Hove and is fifth on the all-time Twenty20 wicket-takers list with 219 scalps.
“It’s been going on since October. We have managed to get there in the end and it is great news,” Sussex cricket manager Mark Robinson told BBC Sussex.
“We get a very experienced bowler. He is a calm man who takes pressure well.” Read more
Tamim Iqbal has submitted a letter to the BPL governing council, asking their assistance to clear the rest of his payments from Duronto Rajshahi. So far he has been paid 50 percent of his total amount for BPL 2013, and the franchise owner last month said that Tamim would not be paid anymore because he left during the Twenty20 tournament without prior notice.
Tamim heard from his Rajshahi teammates that some of them have been paid a 25 percent installment recently. As a result of this new information and the statement made by Mushfiqur Rahman, the Rajshahi franchise’s owner, Tamim wrote the letter addressed to BPL chairman Afzalur Rahman Sinha on Sunday.
Tamim confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that he has sent the letter, and was expecting an outcome. “I have said it at the time, and I will say it again, I didn’t leave the team* without seeking permission. I told every relevant person at the time,” he told ESPNcricinfo.Read more