In fiction books read as a kid everybody had a ‘study` – a room full of books and a single rocking chair. From PG Wodehouse`s Bertie Wooster to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle`s Sherlock Holmes…they all had studies of their own.
In the next 10 minutes, we made a list of thing the spare room should have to qualify as a study:
After five hours of planning and discussing…we took the strategic decision of moving a bean bag inside the spare room and converting it into a study. If you are looking to have a study of your own, be prepared for an unnerving experience.
Once inside the study, I stared at the walls for half hour. I picked up some books, and leafed through them…but in no time I was bored. I didn`t open the door and walked out to play with my daughter because I knew Bertie Wooster and Sherlock Holmes wouldn`t do the same (Probably because they never had kids).
I stayed inside.
Listed below are some of my thoughts while staring at a blank, badly painted wall…
1) Is pen really mightier than a sword? If it is, it better be a really huge pen. Or better still, why don`t you keep the mightier weapon while I use the less mighty one when it comes to a duel?
2) If I live each day as my last…won`t I be broke on the first day itself? The good thing is…I would be right at least once – on the last day. Also, if I live as if each day was my last…what about project deliverables in office?
3) If I pick up early morning calls on my mobile and thus callers manage to wish me “Have a nice day,” all the pressure shifts to me. They put the onus on me to have a nice day. So, I have decided to pick up calls only after 12 noon. Now, what to do if they say: “Have a nice evening”?
4) Why do people die in alphabetical order? I was going through the obituary section of Times of India`s and BELIEVE ME they die in alphabetical order. Wanted to confirm with the TOI`s Obituary section but don`t have a phone inside the study. Note to self: Steal a phone
5) Touch wood, but I don`t have much domestic problems now. The day I do…I will start wearing tighter shoes and/or tighter jeans…both way I will have so much to think about the whole day that I wouldn`t even think of my domestic problems. Talking of shoes, if you want your shoes to last longer…take long steps.
The above pointers are proof that sitting in a study can be dangerous for the mind especially…if one is staring at a white, badly painted wall. One might end up becoming quite a character – like Bertie Wooster or Sherlock Holmes.
Other Interesting Reads
# Difference between a train & an aeroplane – a guide for the first time flyer
# When I was no longer ‘cute` for the women
# Looking for a house in Gurgaon
# Train-ed Romance
# Different types of fathers in law