Pawarful Politics

Sharad Pawar is the new BCCI President. How refreshing. The democratic country that we are, anybody can be elected to top posts. Just about anybody. Even Sharad Pawar…

Indian cricket has eventually managed to get out of the frying pan and reach the fire. I am not surprised Sharad Pawar is from Mumbai. The filmi-capital provides all the glory/popularity to handsome people and forces the ugly to get into politics.

All politicians are in it because of the power they get on winning…power-hungry would be the word. Thanks to politics, for most politicians ‘power` is the middle name. For Sharad Pawar…it is the second name. Well, almost.

Some like me blog about politicians…some just don`t care. Perhaps they have read what Chris Clayton once said: Politics is derived from two words – Poly, meaning many and Tics, meaning small blood sucking insects.

Some politicians only win when they oppose somebody in an election. When they stand unopposed…they end up losing. And who can make it big in the political arena? Anybody who is intelligent and corrupt enough to understand it…and dumb enough to think it is important. The rest of us will just sit and crib.

I know a friend who once went to the Parliament and was asked to sign the Guest Book. He wrote- “Half the people in this building are dumb-asses”. The Floor Manager was pretty upset and wouldn`t leave my friend till he changed it to “Half the people in this building are not dumb-asses”.

Everything said and done, I think we should not make a big issue out of this bad reputation of the politicians. As Henry Kissinger said, it is only the 90 per cent of the politicians who are giving the remaining 10 percent a bad name. Or if you still think politics is a big issue, try finding a parking space in T Nagar, Chennai on a Sunday evening…

By Jamshed V Rajan

Jammy, as Jamshed V Rajan is affectionately called, is a wannabe stand up comedian. He has a funny take on most things but documents only some of them. If you are interested in chatting up with him, do drop him an email at or message him at +919650080255.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *